During the global pandemic there was a very limited amount of over-the-board chess, so Suffolk Junior Chess set up an online club on the website lichess.org, which is free to join and to participate in.
Online chess is no substitute for over-the-board chess (see our Chess Club page for local OTB options), but it does have many advantages, for example:
- Logistics are easier.
- Online chess tools can assist learning.
- Almost zero costs.
SJC Online Club membership includes:
- Chess for local players of all abilities – whether you’re a complete beginner or a regular tournament goer, SJC offers something chessy for everyone.
- Regular in-house tournaments – get in touch and register for free now!
- Optional Zoom call – meet other players and discuss chess together.
- Coaching – coaches offer support and tips on how to improve your game.
- National competitions
- Monthly inter-county blitz event gives all members the opportunity to represent Suffolk against other counties.
- National League Junior Four Nations Chess League (J4NCL) teams.
- Zero commitment – play as much or as little as you like! Many juniors don’t miss a single Wednesday but we do not expect everyone to attend regularly.
- Special events – simultaneous displays, themed coaching sessions, international charity competitions.
- No fees – SJC is run on a voluntary basis and is completely free-of-charge.
- Optional parents channel – keep up-to-date with local events and news.
- End-of-season awards.
It is our intention that this club will continue into the future.