Last Saturday, Suffolk Junior Chess members took part in the annual Rot-gegen-Rassismus (Reds against Racism) online event organised by Bayern Munich Football Club’s chess team.
A full report in English can be found on the FC Bayern website.
The event included:
- One hour of introductions, which comprised various positive messages from important people in the chess world, including former world champion, GM Viswanathan Anand.
- One hour Arena Team Battle.
- One hour Individual Arena.
The team battle involved clubs from all around the world including Venezuela, Bhutan, Germany, Sweden, Singapore, Hong Kong, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Great Britain. Suffolk teamed up with Essex and Cambridgeshire juniors to form a strong East Anglian Junior Chess team, which ended up in first place!
Four Suffolk players finished in the top 100 places (of ~300 players!)
- OliverRichards – 19th place with 20 points
- TallyLenny13 – 31st place with 16 points
- Spotto – 36th place with 15 points
- Oganesson123nitrogen – 61st place with 12 points
A big congratulations also go to nipun_innani (28 points) and frostbyteeeeeeeeeeee (26 points) from Essex Juniors for finishing in 1st place and 2nd place!
At one point early on, HarryOscar’s game against a young Argentinian, Komodo09, was analysed by the special guest commentator from Singapore, GM Kevin Goh. Harry tried every last trick in the book before the game ended in a draw after an epic 89 moves. Both players showed true fighting Suffolk spirit.